Saturday, 20 September 2014

Busy...


After a very relaxed summer, I am now up to my eyes in school work and have little time to myself to write my blog or comment on others. So forgive me if I go a bit quiet for a while.  That's the problem with teaching - yes you have long holidays but it's full on in term time: I am working evenings and weekends even though officially I only teach half a timetable.  And you can't really get ahead in the holidays - you can design 'schemes of work' but I find rigid planning in advance doesn't work and you can't mark writing until they have done it!  I know, whinging teacher... Despite this I am enjoying the new term, getting to know new classes and new routine.  I spend quite a lot of time driving back and forward from my school which is 3 miles away and not accessible by public transport as I also need to drop off and pick up my daughter and  go home to walk the dog at some stage when I have a full day.

Do have a little oasis of calm mid week. I don't work on Wednesday mornings and this week it was a gloriously sunny warm day so I took the dog for a long walk with my neighbour.  We explored a new park which has been created in unused land between the local hospital and the canal.  Access isn't that easy from our village: we had to walk down a narrow footpath by the side of a busy main route into Chester.  But when we left the road it was wonderfully peaceful there even though it is so close to the main road.

Another highlight this week was a school trip to see NT Live production of 'A Streetcar Named Desire' at the local Vue cinema.  It was a fabulous production with Gillian Anderson very convincing as Blanche. I always identify a bit with Blanche as she is like me an English teacher with rather fanciful romantic ideas about things, though I certainly don't chase after young men like she does or drink quite as much.

I did manage to stop and stare occasionally this week - at the butterflies and bees all over the ivy in the garden.  Glad I haven't bothered to get rid of it if it attracts them.


14 comments:

  1. Streetcar sounds good, I will check to see if it is on at our local, I think I could manage that. Beautifully coloured butterflies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly worth the effort though a bit harrowing. Don't know how she manages that performance every night.

      Delete
  2. I have been taking loads of photographs of the flutters on the ivy too. There are showing a live version of Streetcar at my local cinema, and I'm thinking of going.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just checked out your butterfly pics. Glad you identified the Comma. Wondered what it was.

      Delete
  3. Many moons ago I played Stella in Streetcar in a college production! Great fun, though my 'Stanley' was no Marlon Brando! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed - that's a lot of lines! The Stanley in this production was also a bit ordinary looking. A level girls all love Brando in the film so were disappointed.

      Delete
  4. Full on during term time is a good description of teaching! I haven't seen Streetcar with Gillian Anderson yet... might look out for it later on, but I have already booked for a replay of Frankenstein with Benedict Cumberbatch! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Have seen a trailer and it looks tremendous.

      Delete
  5. I'm exactly where you are, Doris: at the busy start of the new term! So glad that, like me, you've got some time mid-week for a bit of a breather (I'm free all day Wednesday, which is wonderful). xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes - it's a good day to have off. I try hard not to end up just doing more preparation or marking or even worse housework.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Know exactly what you mean - if I'm not careful, I fall into the preparation and housework trap too!

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear you have a little window of opportunity on Wednesday mornings and hope you can keep it free from housework and planning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard to get time to write blog posts and read/comment on others. I've been away for a coouple of weeks and am trying to catch up. If you only have a short free time then use it to relax rather than doing more work. I work 34 hours per week (full time in my company is 37.5 hours) but I do all the hours in 4 days. So I always have Friday off which is really, really great. I have to do some housework but I also get to do nice things too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you manage to do lots considering you work so many hours! Have an hour this aft before I go back to work and am catching up here rather than ironing.

      Delete