Sunday, 3 November 2013

Birthday Celebrations in a Giraffe Onesie


My daughter, Kate, turned 14 this week. In addition to most of the contents of Boots, she requested one more sensible (and warm) present - an animal onesie from Primark.  I choose the giraffe, always my favourite animal from our visits to Chester Zoo when she was little.  Here she is blowing out her candles on Monday, posing with the usual teenage Facebook expression.  Last  night,  the celebrations continued with 10 of her school friends in a local Italian restaurant.



I can hardly believe she is 14, an age that I recall being very significant - a kind of limbo when you are no longer a child, but not an adult either.  It doesn't seem so very long since they were wheeling me back to the ward with her in my arms and asking me her name.  Kate, I said. Not Katie, too girly..  Chose the name because Shakespeare tended to use it for feisty, strong women.  She's on her way to living up to it.





1 comment:

  1. The onesie seems to be a compulsory garment for teenagers - I think mine will live in hers this holiday and like her comfort blanket in the old days, I have to work hard to sneak it into the washing machine!

    ReplyDelete