Sunday, 27 July 2014

Liebster Blog Award Part One: 11 random facts about me

Christina at  A Colourful Life has nominated me for a Liebster award.  Thank you Christina and thanks for your kind words about my blog.  Christina's life is certainly colourful and her energy levels astound me - she has four children and still manages to read loads; design and knit her own colourful socks;  make tricky things like Rose Petal Jelly and write regular blog posts.  Check her out if you haven't done so.

So I'm returning the the autobiographical nature of my previous blog post to provide you with 11 random facts about me, which is the first task of the Liebster award.

1. I have regularly written a journal/diary since 1992 and now have 22 of them stored in a bag in the spare room.  It is heavy - I am quite literally weighed down by my past.



2. Yesterday I walked 13422 steps.  I know this because of the new activity monitor superfit husband bought me for my birthday.  If you do not hit your activity goal, it issues commands like 'walk' or 'up'. This is why I was doing circuits of the garden at 10.30 last night.

3. My favourite flower is the Stargazer Lily.  I love the colour, the scent and the name.  These are flowering in my garden at present.



4. I like eating in good restaurants.  Before we had our daughter and had two full time salaries, we used to go to Michelin two star and even three stars places.  These days we seek out  more modest establishments which often serve food which is just as good quality without the pretentious service.

5. I have taught in 9 different schools in different parts of England: several large comprehensives (some in leafy suburbs; others in less affluent areas);  a girls' grammar and two small independent schools. Although the schools are very different, the children aren't, though some clearly have better opportunities than others.

6. I love cheese - my favourite is Bleu D'Auvergne, sold here as St Agur.

7. My favourite chocolate is Lindt Orange Intense which I try to limit to one square a day when I have it, but rest of family usually get there first.

8. All my predictions and objections to owning a dog have proved to be true: he smells; leaves hair everywhere; I do most of the walking.  I wouldn't be without him now.

9. I tend to run about 5 minutes late for everything.  A bad habit which I try to eliminate.

10. Despite many years of teaching, I am still unable to write in a straight line on a blackboard/whiteboard.

11. This poem makes me cry:

'Futility' by Wilfred Owen
Move him into the sun -
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields unsown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.
Think how it wakes the seeds, -
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved - still warm - too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
- O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth's sleep at all?



Ness Garden's poppy field tribute to fallen soldiers in WW1






8 comments:

  1. It is lovely to learn more about you! I love good food and cheese, too. My favourite cheese is gorgonzola. Unfortunately, it makes me ill. We do have a book with poems by Wilfred Owen somewhere I think. Maybe I'll try and find it later. Cx

    P.S. Thanks for the compliments Doris. Somehow it doesn't feel that I am doing so many things but I am not surprised why I am so tired a lot of the time... but I am a slacker when it comes to chores :) and have reasonably self sufficient children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chores don't matter in the end. I'm a slacker too but no one in this house cares about a bit of dust or whether the sheets are changed every week. I only do a proper clean when sister in law comes!

      Delete
  2. Another great Owen lover here. Reading Dulce Et Decorum Est put a lump in my throat when I was 15 and his poetry has been dear to my heart ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think it's the focus on the loss of one soldier which makes this one so poignant. It always makes me think of my great uncle who was from a farming background and died in WW1

      Delete
  3. I love good food and cheese too. When we cruise (only twice so far in my life but plan to do more!) we can go to the Michelen 3 star restaurant onboard for a very little extra. I'm also a lover of Wilfred Owen poetry since (long distant) school days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you - I'd love to go on a cruise round the Mediterranean.

      Delete
  4. A nice way to get to know more about you. I used to keep a diary as a teen/student but haven't done so for many many years although I do a Photo A Day project which is sort of a visual diary. I love good food, dark chocolate and cheese. Not so familiar with Wilfred Owen's poetry, although I'm sure we learned some of it at school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Isobelle, visiting your very nice blog following a comment you left on Christina's inspiring 'A Colourful Life' blog. Very nice to meet you. I love the title of your blog, and have really enjoyed reading your Random Facts. Will start following you on bloglovin, so I can keep up with all your adventures X

    ReplyDelete