Saturday, 15 August 2015

Summer Outings: Cholmondeley Castle Gardens





Apart from our family reunion in Northern Ireland in July, we're not having a summer holiday this year but instead are having a few weekends away and days out.  So I've decided to record these in a series of blog posts entitled Summer Outings.  I'm starting with what was actually just a Sunday afternoon visit to Cholmondeley Castle Gardens, half an hour or so away from.  I love visiting gardens but the rest of the family have to be persuaded and this time I got my way.  Cholmondeley Castle also accepts dogs on leads, unlike most of the National Trust properties around here, a reason why we don't often go. 

That afternoon there was a horse jumping event going on in the surrounding parklands so our visit was accompanied by the loudspeaker commentary on the show.   It was a lovely sunny afternoon for once and we enjoyed our walk around the gardens.  Husband has a new camera and took more pictures than me so I'm using these.  Only the one of the rose garden is mine. You cannot visit the castle itself as the family still live there but there is a little cafe in the grounds so we stopped there for a cup of tea.





At home my own garden is looking rather tatty.  Although it's not been a good summer in the north west, cloudy cool and dampish for much of the time, it's actually been quite dry. So the lawn is parched, and the hydrangeas, which usually add colour at this time of year, are disappointing. I was actually quite pleased to see yesterday's downpour, especially since it's fine again today. I have had one success.  I bought a patio buddleia hoping to attract more butterflies to my garden and, although the plant is nothing special to look at with yellowing leaves at its base, it does seem to be working.  Camera luckily nearby when this peacock visited, but I also saw a comma and numerous whites.


Look out for more summer outing posts soon.

4 comments:

  1. A lovely idea to have summer outings! It looks as though your visit to the garden was a good one, it is a very pretty garden. Our garden at home is looking a bit tatty too, trying to revive it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Like the idea of 'summer outings' posts. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the name Cholmondley, just because it's said Chumly. I've never been, but it is on my list. I wish the castle was open as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Husband has done very well but I like the butterfly picture best, just because I love to see butterflies. There have been very few in my garden this year, which I am blaming on the lack of sunshine. Maybe they are there when I am not?! Have a good weekend. x

    ReplyDelete