Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Happiness is: the perfect strawberry


Misery of marking relieved by trip to Morrison's for supplies: Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon, large bar of Fruit and Nut and these: strawberries which are just perfect - ripe, but not mushy or too big; and shiny which shows they are fresh. Half price too supposedly at £2. (As if anyone who shops in Morrrison's would actually pay £4 for a box of strawberries.)  They taste delicious.  I'm on a constant quest to find strawberries as good as the ones my granda grew Northern Ireland when we were children.  Of course we weren't allowed to eat them: they had to be made into jam by Granny.  Going to make some at the weekend  - it's worth it for the smell alone. Anyway a short post -not much time for blogging at present.

Thought I'd also share a strawberry poem by Scottish poet Edwin Morgan.  Love this.

Strawberries

There were never strawberries
like the ones we had
that sultry afternoon
sitting on the step
of the open french window
facing each other
your knees held in mine
the blue plates in our laps
the strawberries glistening
in the hot sunlight
we dipped them in sugar
looking at each other
not hurrying the feast
for one to come
the empty plates
laid on the stone together
with the two forks crossed
and I bent towards you
sweet in that air
in my arms
abandoned like a child
from your eager mouth
the taste of strawberries
in my memory
lean back again
let me love you
let the sun beat
on our forgetfulness
one hour of all
the heat intense
and summer lightning
on the Kilpatrick hills
let the storm wash the plates

Edwin Morgan

2 comments:

  1. Snap! I bought my first strawberries of the year too today (Sainsburys Newry also £2). Stocking up on treats for the son who is doing the Leaving Cert.
    Love the poem - so evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mairead - lovely to hear from you. I reckon Irish strawberries are the best. We used to buy them in little wooden boxes direct from the growers too.

    ReplyDelete