Saturday, 21 March 2015

Just another Manic Monday..

Routine day. That's what many of the entries in my one-line-a-day diary have said recently.  Our lives are dominated by routine and a secondary classroom teacher's routine is dominated by the timetable which establishes a very strict routine. The weeks pass by and all the Mondays begin with an A level class and end with a double lesson of year 9, which has been hard work recently as we are all weary and ready for a holiday.  And all the Tuesdays... So I feel recently that I have been a work-induced coma. (Thanks to Angel Jem's City Cottage for that phrase which describes exactly my present mood.)  I'm keeping going: turning up; teaching lessons; marking books. It's hard work at this time of the year - lots of dull examination paper practice, which isn't much fun for anyone.  And then there's the self-imposed tyranny of my routines at home: dog walking; washing machine filling; sock-pairing; healthy meal cooking.... There have been a few days recently when I've just wanted to crawl under the duvet and stay there.

Now I suppose routine is good: there is, at present, no major trauma in our lives to disrupt things; I should be thankful for what I've got etc.  But I don't seem to have the energy for anything else but routine obligations.  I've been wanting to see the latest 'Marigold Hotel' film but I reckon I'd fall asleep if I went out after work. I'm not even reading much.  Or writing this very often.  And I've had a range of minor ailments: sore infected eyes, a blocked ear and a nagging pain in my neck and shoulders which is aggravated by being on the laptop or reading.  So I'm feeling sorry for myself.

This morning the sun is shining and I'm determined to pull myself together.  I'm taking a break from the marking routine this weekend and am going to do some things to lift my mood.  First I am going to clean the house properly and tidy up - clutter is getting to me.  And I'm going to get out in the garden, do some digging and plant some seeds.  At least spring is well on its way now.  I might even get round to seeing that film.

And there's one routine thing I do for myself.  On Monday evenings, I go to choir practice.  This week we've learnt The Bangles 80's song 'Just another Manic Monday' which I've been singing in my head all week.  Very appropriate.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, singing, that will break up the routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all have that hamster on a wheel' feeling sometimes Doris, it's hard keeping everything going. Great to get out to choir practise once a week. I live singing too, just lose myself in the music X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do very much hope that you did have a chance to break your routine this weekend Doris, and that your batteries are recharged at least a little. Back in the dark ages when I was young I used to sing in a choir, it was a magic thing, love the song you learning just now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Routine is good so long as you can still get time to do something you like doing once in a while. I hope you're soon felling more energetic and refreshed. Not long to go to the Easter break.

    ReplyDelete