Sunday, 29 March 2015

M is for....March, Mindfulness, Minimalism and... Mountain

M is for Mountain: Moel Famau in North Wales

March is nearly over but just time for a brief post to summarise my current preoccupations, many of which begin with the letter M...

M is for Mummies.  This week I had a night out, a pub meal and rather too much red wine with the friends I made when we moved to our village.  My daughter was a 20 months and I'd left my job and all my social circle in Norfolk - I was afraid I'd be lonely.  But then I discovered Toddler group in the village hall: she found friends and so did I.  We spent the next few years going on outings as a group: Chester Zoo, the Ice Cream Factory, the little train in Grosvenor Park; it was a very happy time. The children don't see so much of each other now, but the mummies keep in touch and I enjoyed catching up.

M is for Marie Kondo. I've just bought this book which I've read about on other blogs.  My husband thinks it is hilarious that I'm buying a book about tidying up.  I'm hoping it will help me in my constant quest to create order at home and deal with clutter, something I find nearly impossible to do.
One of my mummy friends has a home which is perfectly clean and tidy at all times.  We make fun of her obsession with order, but there is a part of me that is envious

M is for Minimalism. I've been reading Clare's blog Just a Little Less for a few years now and like her pragmatic approach to living with less.  Her recent advice on how to involve partners is helpful though it's not going to be easy as my husband is a bit of a shopaholic, forever ordering online cycling clothing, accessories and all sorts of other stuff he doesn't really need.

M is for Mindfulness.  Along with minimalism goes mindfulness.  I need to tidy my mind of clutter too: stopping overthinking and worrying about past failings or future scenarios that may never actually occur.  And, again, I've acquired a book to help me, borrowing this one which offers an eight week course and a CD to help.  I'm starting this week. Let's hope no one else reserves the book before I complete it!

M is for Meditation. I've never had much success with meditation, a key part of  mindfulness. One evening, in a yoga class I attending. we were asked to sit as a group in the dark around a candle and meditate.  I just found it embarrassing and wanted to giggle.  But I'll give it a go if it helps.

M is for Mountain.  One psychological technique I am good at is visualising.  Except instead of visualising my future successes, I tend to vividly imagine bad things that might happen or things that did happen to others. I've blogged about this before here.  This week I was deeply shocked by the plane crash in the Alps, feeling particular empathy for the parents of those children who were returning from a school trip. I found myself creating a mental film reel of the horror inside the plane as it headed for the mountain.  Does anyone else do this?  It benefits no one and makes me sad, but I cannot stop myself.

M is for Moel Famau, a mountain in North Wales, not too far from here.  I'm planning to climb it this week with my neighbour and the dog.  I might even manage to drag the teenager along if the weather is good. Nothing like a bit of mountain climbing to get things into perspective and turn off my busy mind.

The last time we climbed Moel Famau was with some friends in 2009.  The Mr Grumpy T shirt is still being worn....



7 comments:

  1. All good things, except the plane crash of course. It's in our consciousness so it's hard not to imagine it. That's normal I think, especially when we identify with the story...a difficult one. The Kondo book is something else, be prepared to de-clutter a lot. Look forward to hearing about it. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting on the clothes today. Not sure about her instruction to put everything on the floor though - it might just stay there if I get fed up before finishing.

      Delete
  2. I find me mind is always racing, mindfulness and meditation don't agree with me! I always thought of shopping lists during the quiet time at yoga.... I hope you are more successful than I. Mummies are great, aren't they? Some of my best friends I made at toddlers, or even at antenatal class. Enjoy the hike this week, it sounds like a thing to do. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weather not exactly promising today - hoping for improvement by tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the decluttering. It's quite liberating to have a sort out but I think the key is to stop stuff coming into the house in the first place, which is easier said than done. I understand what you mean about creating a mental film reel as I do the same thing. The plane crash was a tragedy for the victims and their families, I find it difficult not to think of what I would have done had I been in that situation.
    A mountain walk sounds a good thing to do, I hope you have lovely weather for it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on stopping stuff coming in. I'm reducing my purchases of unnecessary items but others in the household aren't. My daughter's wardrobe is overflowing with fashion items she wears for a month or two and then ignores in favour of the next fad. And she's now earning her own money babysitting to buy even more clothes. I'm going to encourage to read the Kondo book.

      Delete
  4. Wait until you have Kondo'ed your wardrobe! It really is a good idea. Now, if only I could build up the stamina to Kondo the rest of my house.....


    I love this post. So many of the things you have listed are things I know I want to do or have in my life, but haven't quite got there yet....

    ReplyDelete