Sunday, 10 May 2015

Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Blogging taking a backseat at present: exam season at work so quite busy. Just a quick post to share a favourite poem which has been in my mind in the last few weeks.

The Treesby Philip Larkin

The trees are coming into leaf
Like something almost being said:
The recent buds relax and spread,
Their greenness is a kind of grief,

Is it that they are born again
And we grow old? No, they die too,
Their yearly trick of looking new
Is written down in rings and grain.

Yet still the unresting castles thresh
In fullgrown thickness every May.
Last year is dead, they seem to say,
Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.




May is my favourite month of the year and Larkin's words capture exactly how I feel about it.



11 comments:

  1. That's one of my favourites by Larkin - I particularly love the line "Like something almost being said" - a wonderful image. "Cut Grass' is another one on a similar theme - do you know it? Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do and loads more Larkin too. Like Aubade and Church Going and Whitsun Weddings. It's a pity he's not on the exam board syllabuses so much these days.

      Delete
  2. Exam season here too Doris, my eldest is on study leave. Looking forward to it being over almost as much as he is! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful words and flowers! I hope that you are soon less busy! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not there yet - tedious coursework annotation task this weekend but I'm still going to join in with your link up.

      Delete
  4. Hey Doris,
    A wonderful poem. Head down and plough on through, as I said to Sam the other day.
    Take care,
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a long summer ahead - hope weather improves so we can enjoy it. All the best to your Sam. Is it AS for him or full A levels now?

      Delete
  5. It is a beautiful poem and captures the greenness of May. It was a long time into being an adult that I managed to disassociate May with exams. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Begin afresh.... what a brilliant reminder to start again when we need to! My hubby was at Hull when Larkin was still the librarian.
    And exams in May? *shudder* When I was young enough June was the exam month......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wonder what he was like as a librarian - probably grumpy! How exciting for your husband to meet him. I once met Seamus Heaney when I took a group of kids to hear him read and it is a lovely memory - he was such a kind man.

      Delete