Saturday, 16 May 2015

First Five on Friday

I'm joining in with this link up with Amy at Love Made my Home in the hope of getting back to a more regular blogging.  Here are my five highlights of the week.


1. Far from the Madding Crowd
A trip to the cinema with slightly reluctant daughter last Sunday to see the latest film version of one of my favourite classic novels.  We both enjoyed it.  I loved Carey Mulligan's performance as Bathsheba in this new one but preferred Alan Bates as Gabriel Oak in the 1967 version.




2. RSPB Burton Mere - The Bluebell Wood
I'm still determined to do something with my day off  other than catch up with chores and school work so on Wednesday, a beautiful sunny morning, I went on a trip with my neighbour to Burton Mere where there is a bluebell wood and a Bird Sanctuary.  It's 15 minutes away yet, incredbily, we have never been there before - mostly because dogs aren't allowed.  A brilliant place - the bluebells were spectacular. Forgot my camera but did take a phone photo.


RSPB - Give Nature a Home


3. Bird Watching
At Burton Mere a helpful RSPB employee helped us use their telescope to see some rare birds including an avocet, that's the one on the RSPB logo, and and its cute chick with a little curved beak.
Then we went for a walk along the Dee Estuary and saw more birds in the high trees, larger ones: herons and egrets.  My neighbour took photos and promised to send me some so I will add when I get them.  At home, the woodpecker has been visiting our nutfeeder this week too.  I love watching the drama from the kitchen window.  He's a bit of a bully and chases away all the bluetits.



4. May Meadows
We are lucky in our village to have a dog walking field, left uncultivated by the owner who lets the grass and weeds grow untouched, just cutting it once a year, and allows dog walkers to use it.  At present it is beautiful - cow parsley, buttercups, dandelions, and a pale lilac flower which is apparently called a cuckoo flower or a milkmaid here in Cheshire where it is is the county flower, according to this website.



5. Proud Parent
Last week my daughter was made a prefect at school.  As she's prone to bending rules about uniform etc.., we weren't sure she'd be considered.  Her classmates were able to vote as well as teachers though so that may have tipped the balance.

So those are the good bits from an otherwise not much fun week. Now will see if I can manage to link...

15 comments:

  1. Far from the madding crowd is one if my favourites too but want to re read it AGAIN before seeing it in the cinema. Always a good idea if possible to spend days off doing lovely things but often in reality this cannot be done 100% of the time. Glad you managed the woods this week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and welcome! This week it's a hair appointment - not as much fun but at least relaxing reading rubbishy celeb mags.

      Delete
  2. Glad you had a good day off, that will spur you on for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to your daughter. Love your bluebells.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a lovely week. Congrats to your daughter for the perfect award. My best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done you for not playing catch-up and doing chores on your day off! I cycle through woods with bluebells every morning, it is delightful. There is a woodpecker pair there, too. This is the first year I have seen a woodpecker around here, it is exiting. Congratulations to your daughter. We don't have prefects at our high school but I assume it is similar to being a house captain. My oldest was interviewed to be a junior house captain but wasn't chosen in the end. He was quite disappointed I think. A bit of gentle rule bending is ok! Have a lovely week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a dog-walking field in our village too, which gives on to other fields, a small hill and woods, so is a good starting point for longer walks, and handy for a quick dog walk if short on time. It is a much used facility X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Doris,
    Hooray for rule bending prefects! They make the best factory floor supervisors apparently! I can't compare both the Gabriel Oak's as I haven't seen the earlier film version, but I thought this one was rather lovely. Much better than Mr Poldark....
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was despite the hint of a Dutch accent.

      Delete
  8. I love rereading old classics too :) Sometimes it takes a few chapters to get into the old-fashioned wording, but I enjoy visiting them again. Love your bluebells (we don't have them like that here in Ontario). We do have leash free parks for the dogs though! We also don't have 'prefects' and thought it was just a Harry Potter thing ;)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a British thing which is kind of linked to public schools but they have prefects in many state schools too. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  9. Well done to your daughter, she must be thrilled! The bluebells are gorgeous, the colour is stunning. Good for you for not spending your day off doing chores, Doris. I reckon as long as all family members have clean undies to put on and you have something to eat for dinner, then that's good enough xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to your daughter! We're hoping to go and see Far From the Madding Crowd at the weekend.

    ReplyDelete