Saturday, 20 June 2015

Five Flowers on Friday

Short on time to post today so just linking up with Amy at Love Made my Home with a five June flower pictures from my garden and beyond.
 

This is bush is called Philadelphus I think or mock orange though I think we called it Bride's Blossom in Northern Ireland.  Whatever it is called, it smells wonderful and this year is magnificent. Last year the man we get to cut the hedges trimmed it at the wrong time and we had few flowers, but I managed to save it this year and it's better than ever.



My oriental poppies are also in flower.  They last a day or two before dropping their petals at the slightest sign of wind or rain, but are spectacular when they are out. This year I have noticed that there are two different colours, one salmony pink and the other paler. I'm sure the plants were identical when I planted them. A mystery. 




I don't bother much with pots of annuals as they need too much watering but I make an exception for these Livingstone Daisies which have an unspellable proper name beginning with M.  These were my mother's favourite and I plant them in memory of her.  They are a bit sulky, only opening when the sun comes out, but look so cheerful when they do. 


 And this week the wild dog roses have finally opened, rather later than usual after this cool spring.  These are growing by the railway line on my dog walk which is a real haven for wild flowers.

Will be back later this weekend with more news from a busy week.

8 comments:

  1. They are pretty, we call that flower Mock Orange too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a flowering currant in my garden as everyone had them when I was a child. It flowers early and reminds me of home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are lovely, Doris. We had some oriental poppies come up and before they flowered and we realised what they were, my hubby thought they were lettuces! I've never let him forget that! Beautiful dog roses, I love those. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful blooms. I've always loved the mock orange tree too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful flowers!!! They are all so beautiful, but I especially love the poppies! They are stunning aren't they! Thank you so much for joining in. I hope that you are having a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those oriental poppies are stunning! What beautiful colours! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous flowers! Some of my absolute favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely showy flowers but my favourite has to be the simple wild roses, I guess I'm just a simple type of person :)

    ReplyDelete