Monday, 7 April 2014

Roaming and Reading in Rome

I've just returned from a few days in Rome - a short break now the Easter school holidays have started.   Luckily the forecast heavy rain occurred overnight and we had several pleasant warm days to explore the city.  I've never been before and was a bit overwhelmed just how much there was to see.  In fact we had monument overload by the end and on the Sunday headed for the park by the Villa Medici to escape the crowds.  The collage below pretty much sums up what we did.  And a lot of eating of pizza, pasta and ice cream.  Husband's dodgy ankle meant we didn't walk too far so most afternoons were spent lazily reading and sleeping.


We stayed in an apartment by the Pantheon  (view from our window top right),  just opposite a primary school - what an unusual location.  The teenager was more interested in what was going on in the present around the Pantheon than she was in its history, despite choosing this subject as one of her GCSE options.  We were both shocked by the young beggar with bare brown legs and a club foot who moved around the square on a skateboard asking tourists for money.  She wanted to know why he wasn't getting any help. Good question.

Another day we came across this sight - rows of people reading in silence for an hour in front of the Pantheon.  I asked an organiser and was told it was a peaceful protest defending freedom of expression and also about the anti-homophobic legislation going through the Italian parliament.  I assumed they were supporting this legislation, but looking at the website I'm not so sure. So I feel a bit foolish now as I told my daughter that they were protesting against homophobia.  Shouldn't jump to conclusions, I suppose.


6 comments:

  1. I haven't been to Rome in nearly 20 years! I bet it has changed a lot. I am glad you had a good time. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous. I love Rome although it's a while since we've been there and likely to be another while with the teen off to college in September. Your apartment sounds like it was in an ideal location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so central and not that expensive. Just hit lucky with booking.com this time.

      Delete
  3. I have always wanted to visit Rome, and hopefully will one day! So they were protesting against anti-homophobia laws then? Oh. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so - the website was in Italian and the translation wasn't very good. It seems surprising as so many of them were young people too, Recommend Rome - loved it, though it was very busy.

      Delete