Saturday, 18 May 2013

Doris's week with Steinbeck

Not much blogging this week. Have spent my time immersed like many other English teachers around the country in Steinbeck.   It's the GCSE English Lit exam on Monday for our students and yet again I've been doing final revision sessions on  'Of Mice and Men'.   I am entirely fed up with George, Lennie, Curley's Wife etc. having taught it more times than I can count, but it's a winner with the kids.  The shooting of Candy's dog silences the most difficult of classes; it's perfectly structured and not too long.   Do worry about the message it conveys to impressionable  teenagers - that dreams are futile.  And no match for my preferred GCSE text 'To Kill a Mockingbird'  which ends in a more positive way.  Can't read the line 'Hey Boo' without tears in my eyes.


No comments:

Post a Comment